I am not a huge sports fan and I certainly didn't think I would be watching much of the coverage of the Beijing Olympics, especially not the ceremonial side of things. However, I stand corrected because when I happened to flick channels on the day of the Opening Ceremony last week, I was unable to take my eyes off the spectacular show that China put on. I'm not a particularly political person (look at that great alliteration...or is it assonance? Clare?!) but I do have an opinion on what I know about China, and it's not an overly positive one! However, I have to hand it to them - that Opening Ceremony on Friday was absolutely incredible. I'm sure it leaves the organisers of London 2012 in utter panic, knowing they will be expected to match that show. As a wise friend pointed out to me this week though, it could actually be considered irresponsible for a democracy to spend that much money on one evening. China's political position allowed it to spend whatever money it chose on its Olympics, and no one would question their actions; things here in the UK are slightly different - or should be!
As I said at the start of this post, I am not a sports fan but when it comes to the gymnastics, I'm hooked! Last week on Mock the Week (that Thursday night slice of BBC comedy genius), Frankie Boyle said that only paedophiles would ever watch and enjoy gymnastics. I found this statement rather offensive, although I could see the basis for it, namely the ridiculously young age of the female gymnasts in particular.
Setting aside that disturbing thought however, I really am loving watching the world's most talented gymnasts in these Olympics. When you watch them perform, you can't help but be mightily impressed with the sheer strength, skill and stamina those people have. They can get their bodies to do things which look so impossible, they appear almost computerised. Apart from when they fall - then they look very human indeed! Thankfully, that seems to be a pretty rare occurrence, and the majority of the gymnasts produce flawless (to my eyes) routine after flawless routine. I think they're fantastic, and I don't care if Frankie Boyle judges me for it!
Tuesday, 12 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
alliteration...assonance...no wonder I've only won one or two of our many scrabble games!! I agree though with everything you said and I'm loving the Gymnastics....don't you judge me Frankie Boyle! x x
Oh he will! Even more so than he'd judge me. But i think you're strong enough to take him!! :) xx
It's alliteration! :)
And I love the gymnastics too it's brilliant!!
Hurrah, thanks Clare, I knew you'd know the answer!! Genius girl :) xxx
I think what Frankie said was that it was "paedophilia for cowards". Which is quite funny, IMO.
HEY! What are you trying to say Jon!? There's nothing wrong with appreciating the skill and strength involved in gymnastics :P (I do agree it was quite funny though)
Post a Comment