Saturday, 9 August 2008

Sex, Drugs and Rock'n'Roll....Cure for M.E?!


I have had the post-viral illness, ME/CFS, for a total of 5 years of my life so far, on and off, and in that time I've heard a lot of theories about things which could help the symptoms and things which might exacerbate them. Tonight, however, I had the most random suggestion I think I've ever heard. Although said at least partly in jest, the theory put forward was backed up with a tenuous piece of "evidence", making me think that the deliverer of the opinion thought it did actually hold some weight! The suggestion was this: cannabis. Apparently some of the effects of cannabis could be very helpful in the symptoms of M.E. Hmm.

From this initial idea, the conversation spiralled into alcohol and then progressed onto the more general idea of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll as a cure. Obviously by this point I was just laughing and so was the proponent of the theory, but I wonder how many people would actually consider the cannabis option. I'd heard of it before but, being me, had just laughed and not given it another moment's thought. Just like now! I wonder though whether any other ME sufferer has ever gone that far to ease their symptoms. I hope not, but then I have been told I'm closed-minded! I prefer to call it law-abiding and appropriately fearful of dangerous substances... Who's to say?

No comments: