
"...In the shadow of His hand He hid me..." - Isaiah 49:2 (NIV)
I try to read the UCB Word for Today notes each day at some point, usually in the morning. Although occasionally they don't feel especially relevant, there is almost always something which can be applied in my life, either as an encouragement or instruction. Today's notes however felt as though they were written just for me at this time. Based upon a passage in Isaiah 49, the notes talk about some of those "mysterious ways" in which you hear it said that God works. One of the points that jumped out at me was this:
"Before every 'showing' there's a 'hiding.' God gets us alone and does a work in us that cannot be accomplished any other way."
It might sound ridiculous but this thought excited me, because it felt like God was saying to me that there is most definitely a point to this period in my life, where so many possibilities and avenues have been closed to me, shutting my existence down to where I am now. Although I struggled in the early months, battling real heartache at missing out on so much - work, adventures, freedom and even friendships in some instances - I have been feeling so positive lately, recognising this time for what it is. I believe God will bring me, and Vianney, through this time and that it will have made us both stronger in ways which "could not have been accomplished any other way." The fact that we don't know quite what this will mean in practice is not what's important right now; it is enough to know that God can and will bring something wonderful out of what is such a struggle.
I went on to read Isaiah 49 right the way through, and was so uplifted by the overall message which I'll attempt to paraphrase. Isaiah starts the chapter with the reminder that God called him by name even before his birth and that Isaiah was to bring glory to God. He instantly argues something along the lines of, "But my work is useless, I've used all my energy and it's achieved nothing..." The reply from God is what has lifted my spirits so much today. He promises to give strength and purpose back to Isaiah, and assures him that this time hidden in the shadows, seemingly getting nowhere, has immense purpose and value; it has been preparing him for such amazing things to come, including the restoration and salvation of God's people. God promises that "at just the right time" He will respond to Isaiah and it will have all been worth it.
The last line of today's UCB notes is this:
"Embrace the shadows, discover God and grow in them, then emerge with something to say that is worth listening to!"
I don't believe that embracing the shadows means giving in to circumstances, accepting that this is the way it will always be. I believe it means getting as much as you possibly can from wherever life is holding you, so that you will be ready and equipped to move onto the next stage when the time is just right.
http://www.ucb.co.uk/word_for_today
5 comments:
I'm so encouraged that your encouraged! God truely is awesome, his love is so beyond me. Psalm 27 came to mind as i was thinking about Gods timing, especially v14 'Wait for the Lord, Be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord'
and psalm 33v 20-23
Love ya gal
Thank you so much, those verses are perfect. You're a star. They have now been today's encouragement for me, nice one :) Thanks Hy, love you too xxx
Vic so good to read all you have written so far and as I've told you a million times, you and Vi have already been a massive encouragement to me by your amazing faith in God - He is so great!! And you're right, I have noticed a huge change in you over the last few months too...God is really doing amazing work in your life.
Remember - strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord!
Love you xxx
This is so cool.
Thank you! :) You're very encouraging, all of you xx
Post a Comment