Thursday, 21 August 2008

Breaking the curse!

Tomorrow morning, I will finally be going on possibly the most long-awaited holiday of my life! It has felt as though there has been a curse over me when it comes to this particular cottage - and August Bank Holidays specifically! I mustn't write much as I really should be packing but can't get myself in gear. (And anyway, what on earth does one pack when it's August and should therefore be warm and sunny but if you didn't know better you'd think it was February or April!?)

Two and a half years ago I had a wonderful couple of days in the aforementioned cottage in Cornwall with my two surrogate big sisters, Amy and Helen. The cottage itself is beautiful and so unusual, with such a cosy, homely feel; I love it. The surrounding area is lush, so close to the sea, gorgeous coastal walks and divine tea rooms! Those few days in February 2006 were so special; we had the log fire going, we watched back to back chick flicks through the evenings and we drank hot chocolate and ate Helen's delicious cooking to our hearts' content!

Ever since that time, I had my heart set on going back with the pair of them and we planned to do it again on the August Bank Holiday that year. Unfortunately a couple of days before we were due to go, I got the first of my infamous chest infections. This turned out to be serious and resulted in the inevitable cancellation of my part of the holiday. I was of course gutted but we just made plans for the next time, in October. If you are wondering how it is that we could go to this cottage almost whenever we chose; it was owned by a friend of Amy's family and then her parents recently bought it.

Anyway, to cut a long series of stories short, each time we have planned to return to the cottage for the sequel to the last holiday, our plans have been scuppered exclusively by my health! However, this time we will make it. We will break the curse. This time tomorrow, we will be in the cottage, soaking up its character, its quirks, its enchanting smell of the wood-burning fire and finally spending quality time there together. All this is thanks to some serious planning and re-planning by the wonderful Miss Evans, whom I honestly cannot thank enough. In the name of "breaking the curse" Helen is driving all the way from London to Cardiff tonight, then from Cardiff to Cornwall tomorrow, hopefully loading the car with us and our belongings along the way! I cannot wait. And now, I must pack!!

No comments: