
This post will probably seem incredibly bizarre to most of you, and I may be accused of all sorts - including "cheese" and over-spiritualising things - but I honestly don't care! This is why: I was listening to a song the other day, originally by The Pretenders (I think), but covered much more recently by the skeletons known as Girls Aloud, bless their hearts! As I listened to the words properly for the first time, I realised how this could so easily be a song written from God to us. Yes, I'm serious.
With everything that is currently going on our own lives, Vianney and I are struggling from time to time to remember the basic core of our faith: God loves us, He's with us and FOR us, and He wants to be there for us throughout anything and everything that happens in our lives. He is more than just a big, omnipresent God (if it's possible to be "more" than that!); ultimately, He longs to be our friend, someone there for us in a way that nobody else can fully be. That's why as I listen to this song, written from one friend to another, I feel like God's singing the words directly to me. Friends are there for each other through the tough times as well as the happier seasons; they can't always stop you hurting, but they can be there for you, standing beside you throughout.
At this point, I feel like many people would challenge me and say, "It's a 'secular' song, how can you interpret it in this way?" So, considering I have time on my hands and nowhere to go with so little energy, I decided to find Bible passages which correspond with the verses of the song. I hope you find it encouraging to think of God, and of this song, in this way for a change....
(I've paraphrased some of the lines, just so that they would make better grammatical sense - I couldn't help it!!)
Oh, why'd you look so sad?
Tears are in your eyes
Come on and talk to me now
Tears are in your eyes
Come on and talk to me now
(Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you - 1 Peter 5:7)
Don’t be ashamed to cry
Let me see you through
Cause I’ve seen the dark side too.
Cause I’ve seen the dark side too.
(Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin - Hebrews 4:14&15)
When the night falls on you and you don’t know what to do
Nothing you confess could make me love you less.
(If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness - 1John 1:9)
(Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need - Hebrews 4:16)
I’ll stand by you,
I won’t let anybody hurt you; I’ll stand by you
I won’t let anybody hurt you; I’ll stand by you
(We know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love him - Romans 8:28)
(If God is for us, who can be against us? - Romans 8:31)
So if you’re mad, get mad
Don’t hold it all inside
Come on and talk to me now
Don’t hold it all inside
Come on and talk to me now
(Practically ALL of the Psalms!)
Hey, what have you got to hide?
I get angry too
Well I’m a lot like you
Well I’m a lot like you
(God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him - Genesis 1:27)
When you’re standing at the crossroads and don’t know which path to choose
Let me come along ‘cause even if you’re wrong ...
Let me come along ‘cause even if you’re wrong ...
(Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." - Isaiah 30:21)
I’ll stand by you, I’ll stand by you
I won’t let anybody hurt you; I’ll stand by you
I won’t let anybody hurt you; I’ll stand by you
(For God so loved the world that He gave His only son.... - John 3:16)
Take me in, into your darkest hour
And I’ll never desert you
I’ll stand by you.
And I’ll never desert you
I’ll stand by you.
(THE WHOLE BIBLE!)
Vix's Disclaimer: I do know that you could go overboard and do this with pretty much any song; all I'm saying in this post is that this particular one has spoken to me and I wanted to share it. I don't necessarily expect you to find it amazing!! :)
4 comments:
Well I do find it amazing :)
I especially love the Isaiah verse "If we turn to the left or the right..." - amazing stuff.
I also love EVEN more that you changed 'won't let nobody hurt you' to 'won't let anybody hurt you.' This is why we're friends Chickpea.
That's good my love. Well done on translating the song. It's all so true what you said! Nice blog post!
Why thank you, you two :) I know you're a bit biased, both of you, but it means a lot that you're not laughing in my face ;)
And yes, Cookie, I thought you would appreciate that particular re-phrasing job!!
Vianney - you got back to the office quickly, I was only speaking to you a few minutes ago and you were out by the water!!!xxx
I love your blog.
Post a Comment