Monday, 1 September 2008

Medicine Gone Bananas


Why is it that so many anti-biotics smell and even taste of banana? Well, not really natural banana but a sweetened version of my least favoured fruit. Today we made a discovery: this trend is not limited to human medicine, but also extends to veterinary medicine. Arthur, our fabulous little guinea pig, had to pay a visit to the vet today; we decided to go with him, mainly because he doesn't have a debit card with which to pay for his treatment!

We left the surgery armed with anti-biotics and anti-inflammatory medicine, both to be administered via a syringe directly into our piggy's mouth. And guess what - the anti-biotics are banana flavoured! The veterinary nurse seemed to think this was a great thing and would surely help ease the process along because "Arthur will love the taste". How wrong one person can be. Little did she know that, although Arthur absolutely loves 99% of the fruit and vegetables we have given him, he detests banana. We even tried to trick him by putting drops of the medicine onto his favourite foods but he has now mysteriously gone off those foods as well... The poor little thing used to be so trusting but now he regards us with disgust and, even worse, disappointment!

I don't blame Arthur of course - I used to feel exactly the same when, as a child, my parents used to try and force banana-flavoured anti-biotics down me, claiming it would make me better. Surely though modern science could come up with a drug that does not have the obligatory banana flavour, and still make us better. Would it be so terrible? Arthur and I don't think so....

5 comments:

clare isabella said...

Ohhh poor little piggy (big piggy ;) hehe)
I'm sure he still trusts you, hope he feels better soon! xxx

Vix said...

Thank you! He continues to be...suspicious shall we say. We've taken to wrapping him tightly in a towel to stop him from fighting his way away from the syringe. It's working a bit but not much!!! Rah!xxx

starinajar said...

Talking of holding animals tightly - At a recent wedding Cath told me that the couple were releasing doves. Cath was chatting to the 'dove release woman' who said she now keeps a 'spare' bird at hand, as apparantly in the past a groom got too nervous and held the bird a little too tight. Instead of it soaring into the future... it infact dropped to the ground... :D

If I was at a wedding where this happened I would soooooo wet myself laughing.

p.s. the dove was ok. just traumatised aparantly :D but it does happen!

Vix said...

Hahahaha I actually laughed out loud for way too long after reading that, Matt, that's so funny!! Thank you for sharing :)

AND thank for you for my funky bonsai potato, you're such a star. I love the randomness of it and will endeavour to do it justice. The post-it was hilarious too :)

Thankfully, piggy has taken to his medicine incredibly well now so all's peaceful and harmonious. Lucky Clare and Tom get to continue the good work next week as he's staying with them for 6 days!! Hope all's good :) x

Jongudmund said...

When I lived in Africa we had to drink a medicine which was heavily orange flavoured, but made you feel sick. There's a certain brand of squash (can't remember which one) which tastes exactly the same. Just the smell trips my gag reflex.