Today I wanted to tell you about a handful of lovely surprises I've had in the post - and in person - in the past few weeks. Those of you who know me will know how much I love getting mail of almost any description (except bills of course, I'm not completely weird)! Just before Christmas I received an incredibly imaginative parcel from a friend I am yet to meet but whom I feel I know so well already. Thank you Pizo ;) The contents of said parcel have been taken out and shown to so many people since I received it, including a fantastic, emotional book based on the story of Hosea and the most gorgeous little hand-made box (containing two delicious Ferrero Roches). The items which have evoked the most reactions, though, are Pizo's trademark badges of the London Underground Map and even more impressively, a map of the area where Vianney and I live made into a funky little badge! Pizo had also spent a fortnight writing (and illustrating) a wonderful letter - one of the funniest and most moving letters I've probably ever had and, knowing how much that must have taken out of her, I was so touched to receive it. The thought that had been put into the entire fabulous parcel was immense, and really did make my week.
| From Surprise Post |
The second surprise which came to me courtesy of the Royal Mail was a parcel sent to me last week by the lovely Hayley, from all the way across the other side of the world, in New Zealand. This was another parcel full of incredibly random contents (what else can one expect from crazy Hayley?!), including shortbread which made her think of us, a magnetic cuddly bird which is native to New Zealand, beautiful shells from both Samoa and the South Island of NZ and Samoan Coffee amongst other things! For me, possibly the most beautiful part of this parcel was the first thing I saw as I opened up the box: a beautiful shell taped to the underside of the lid, with one of my favourite Bible verses (Zechariah 4:6) written clearly across it. In fact I love the verse so much I have previously written a blog post based upon it.
The brilliant surprise I received in the post today may not grab other people quite the way it did me - except perhaps 3 or 4 year old children! It contained something I have recently fallen in love with: comic book annuals! Those of you who follow my blog will know that I have begun to fill some of my more energetic days with making envelopes, namely out of ...yep, you guessed it, comic annuals! My collection so far includes The Beano, a Sindy annual from 1984 (the year I was born), and Spiderman. I don't exclusively use classic comic strips like these though as you'll have seen from my previous creations; my current favourites are Charlie and Lola, Postman Pat and Winnie the Pooh! Today's exciting parcel contained Dennis the Menace, Noddy and a Premier League magazine for the boys! Thank you so much, Helen, for your wonderful thoughtfulness :)
I think the reason I get so excited about parcels like those from my two H's and the aforementioned "Pizo Parcel" is the thought that clearly goes into them, the ideas and presentation of each item included in the box. Knowing that someone has thought about you and gone to so much effort to put these things in the post (often paying a lot to do so) means so much to me. And these three examples represent numerous other cards and packages I get in the post from you lovely people so thank you!
The final happy surprise I wanted to write about was an impulsive visit from a friend I'd not seen for almost two months; she had an unexpected day off work, as the person who usually cares for her child while she works was unwell. I was so honoured that she chose to spend this time visiting me, bringing her little one along with her, and her timing could not have been better as this week is an even quieter week than normal after last week's excessive use of spoons! I had nothing whatsoever planned, and knew I could rest completely for the remainder of the week after her visit. She wasn't here long, but just having company when I had thought it was yet another long day alone in the house was a wonderful surprise, especially considering little Zach (just over a year old) lights up the house the entire time he is here!
I had always thought I was someone who didn't like surprises but I've realised that is not entirely true; I think I love surprises in themselves, but not when I'm warned of them in advance. You know when people say, "I've got a surprise for you.....but you will have to wait until next week" or, "Wait til you see what we've got for you!"? Those are the kinds of surprises which get me all wound up, not wanting to raise my expectations but not being able to help it. You know how it is! So there it is - today I have discovered that I like spontaneous surprises a lot more than I realised!
3 comments:
Hooray for the bloggage! Glad you got to write it in the end. I can't promise though that I won't warn you of upcoming surprises...I love to wind you up sometimes not always. Anyways, love the post! Great pictures! x x x
P.S my verification word's tozing(start keeping a record)
my word verification is 'catess'
now i just need a comment to go with it... um...
Mine's tropen...hmmm.
LOVING all the new envelopes Miss Vix. In fact, don't be surprised if some 'accidentally' go missing next time I'm at yours ;) they are lush.
And lush pic of Zach too :) he's such a cutie.
Post a Comment